Labeling & Shipping Information
You can send an instant on-site collection device (presumptive positives only), or you can send specimens collected using an appropriate urine collection container. Please follow the easy steps below to send your specimens to the lab.
›› DOWNLOAD: Specimen Labeling & Shipping [PDF 6MB]
Requires Adobe Acrobat Reader
URINE SPECIMEN TEST REQUISITIONS
For each urine specimen, the forms should be completed with a water-resistant marker, such as a blue or black ball point pen (red color is not recommended since it tends to rub off). Fill out the appropriate test requisition form/label, indicating the drug(s) to be tested. Ensure that the security seal, dates and appropriate signatures are completed by the donor and the collector.
RF2 and RF3 labels are chain of custody labels with either 2 or 3 part carbon copies. This is the most common label used with RTL.
Urine Drug Screen Type: Check the box corresponding to the reason the donor is being tested and note the temperature of the specimen.
Security Seal: After collecting the specimen, tighten the bottle cap. Place the security seal over the top of the cap and down the sides of the bottle. Have the donor initial the security seal.
Specimen Label: Indicate the following information in the appropriate area of the specimen label:
- Please indicate which test(s) or panel is to be ordered by placing a check mark in the appropriate box or by writing the test on the "other" line. Specific tests by GC/MS should be written on the GC/MS request line.
- Donor identification, collection date, and collector.
Donor Information & Collector Verification: The donor will enter his/her signature, printed name, date collected and donor ID (SSN or DL#). The collector will verify the information provided by the donor and validate that the specimen was collected correctly.
Receiving (lab only): This section is to be filled out by Redwood Toxicology Laboratory personnel only.
Another version of the Urine Test Requisition form is called the LSL Requisition Label. There are 6 labels per sheet.
Specimen Label: This section is to be filled out by the collector.
Tests Ordered: Please indicate which test(s) or panel is to be ordered by placing a check mark in the appropriate box, or by writing the test on the "other" line. Specific tests by GC/MS should be written on the GC/MS Request line.
Please follow these guidelines when shipping your specimen(s) to the laboratory:
- Five or more specimens: Please use the lab pack provided by RTL
- Fewer than five specimens: Please use the pre-paid U.S. mailer boxes
- Oral fluids and urine may be sent in the same lab pack when sending five or more specimens (e.g. three urine specimens and two oral specimens).
- Please do not mix oral fluid and urine specimens in the same postage-paid mailer box! Per U.S. Postal Service regulations, use the box provided specifically for each type of test as indicated on the pre-paid label.
The Resource Library includes information available in our printed Reference Guide, delivered to all new clients. To download a PDF of our Reference Guide, click here.